Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Death

There is something to be said about death. It doesn't have a scheduled appointment nor is it pretty. It is something that most people in their life will experience, yet it still catches us off guard each time. It sometimes catches us off guard even when you didn't know the person who passed. This is what happened to me this week.

Tuesday night a 24 year old woman was killed in a hit and run accident while riding her bike. (See link below for article) This woman used to work in the Operating Room where I now work. I never met her and just saw her once while she was visiting with the other staff members. Every one of my coworkers have been mourning her death this week and I have to say that I don't blame them. When someone is taken away so suddenly it leaves a mark.

In this sad scenario it put somethings in perspective for me. Death has its way of sneaking up on you and before you know it, its your turn. You only have one life so use it wisely and live everyday to its fullest. Death in general I believe is meant to teach people. It sounds horrible but just hear me out. Losing someone you love and are close to is bound to change you in some way. Death can teach you to maybe say hi to that person you haven't spoken to in awhile because you don't know if it will be the last. It can also make you reevaluate yourself and what you want to change, it can make you stronger in your beliefs, ambitions and in life. Depending on the type of legacy that person leaves behind it can make you want to be better at something emotionally, physically, spiritually or whatever. I am not saying that experiencing someone dying that you love is the only way to learn these things but this is what I seem to pull from that while experience.

I know that God has a plan for each and everyone of us. Sometimes it is hard to see that and get caught up in the day to day duties and drama of life. It may not seem right for someone young and beautiful to leave this Earth but I know that He has a plan for us and no 2 are alike. God knows us individually and knows when it is time to bring us home. If I didn't believe in an afterlife and God I think death in general would be one of the hardest life experiences to go through. But I am glad I do believe in God and have faith that when it is my time to go I would have done everything in my life that I was supposed to have done.

A quote I really like from President Thomas S. Monson from his October 2001 talk;

"May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business."

Here is the link for that talk. It is really amazing.

http://lds.org/liahona/2002/01/now-is-the-time?lang=eng

Here is the link for the article on Brynn;

Nurse killed in hit-and-run accident was 'full of life,' family says - ksl.com

No comments:

Post a Comment